Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] compulsory element of sudbury model

From: Hughes <hughes0005_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sat Oct 8 15:59:00 2005

Molly,
If unschooling kids could benefit from going to Sudbury Schools, how do the kids who are choosing to be there more often benefit from the unschooling kids? Do you want everyone else to create a community for your children that they can drop in here and there to participate? Doesn't seem balanced to me. Attendence has to be there for the school to thrive. Part time attendence assumes that one could reap the rewards of other people's efforts. I am becoming increasingly curious about the number of homeschoolers and unschoolers who are in this discussion. I home-schooled for 4 years, back when. Then later was a Sudbury Valley parent for fifteen years. My kids were a little intimidated by the word school. I confess I was responsible for that. I was harrassed endlessly by my home town superintendent, so we visited Sudbury Valley. My kids didn't want to go home, and we never looked back. They were 8 and 10 year old boys. The only sad face I ever got was the one when they saw me at the end of the day and realized they had to leave. That's just my experience. My boys definately felt full responsibility for their lives at SVS, because that was what they knew from home as well. But their joy in joining a community of other children and a staff that's fabulous knew no bounds.
Carol