[Discuss-sudbury-model] compulsory element of sudbury model

From: <JMMancasola_at_aol.com>
Date: Fri Oct 7 11:55:00 2005

Scott wrote:

The test of anything
that the state makes 'mandatory' is not whether it is
burdensome to most people, but whether the system itself is
unduly burdensome (a 'Hell') to *any* of it's members.

Scott, in light of this last statement, can you please help me better
understand how the compulsory component of the Sudbury Model can be justified. I am
already aware of the rationalization that minimum attendance is required to
enhance school culture, however, I have difficulty with the mere fact that any
kid is being forced to attend during those times when his or her passions or
interests lie elsewhere in the community. I am referring to a potential scenario
in which a person may become interested in being involved in a project
outside of the school, but the school mandates that he or she attend the school a
minumum number of hours per week. That seems to protect the institution over
the rights of the individual.

Wouldn't the sudbury model, with its pure adherence to democratic principles,
 better serve the needs of its individuals, if it trusted the individuals to
decide for themselves when the school was an appropriate place for them to be
and when it was not? Shouldn't we question the concept of the
institutionalization of children?

Thank you for helping me probe this question, Molly Mancasola