Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] (no subject)

From: Tay Arrow Sherman <tay_at_anatomyofhope.net>
Date: Fri Oct 7 10:50:00 2005

Mark,

I think that most people either just don't notice, or they figure
"that's the way it is". One thing I find particularly striking is how,
when I ask someone who went through traditional school if they *liked*
it, they seem taken aback. The response?

"Well, I mean, it's school. Nobody 'likes' school."

What you are going through now is something I went through when I was a
kid. I was angry, I asked everyone I could get a hold of why we had to
do this pointless thing that nobody 'liked', for how many hours a day?

  Ultimately, I think it is easier for most people to go with something
that sucks a lot than it is to do the work required to create something
that is really worth having. This attitude is completely entrenched
in coercive school culture. I mean, look at all the infrastructure that
is already there! And think of how scary it can be for someone to dive
into this new model, start up a school with no idea whatsoever as to
whether it will really work? These people need to have such confidence
that they can know what is right... can you imagine how many people
actually have that, after going through some form of coercive
schooling? Not so many, because the foundation of such a model is that
the teacher is right and the student is wrong, and the teacher is there
to show the student how to be right. Isn't it? How much time do you
spend correcting, giving feedback, drawing a little red X? I learned
from my father, when I was little, that only in mathematics are there
truly right and wrong answers. And even then, in some forms of
mathematics, 1+1=1.

Staff income may also be a question, in some cases.

Cheers!
-Tay

On 7 Oct, 2005, at 3.45, Mark MacFadyen wrote:

> Thank you kindly Ian for your very thoughtful response. I agree with
> everything you said, and see your point. We are all prisoners. And
> teachers are forced to do things they dislike. This is why I am
> bucking the system so early in my 'career' and searching for alternate
> ways of helping. We are all forced to 'maintain' order, and for what?
> To what end? Yet, few educators are having these questions I am
> having, and I'm not sure why.
>
> Many thanks,
> Mark
>
> Yahoo! for Good