Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Extreme examples of traditional schools

From: Hughes <hughes0005_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri Oct 7 10:08:00 2005

My extreme example is of a different sort. My traditional school education was not useful for me because it was irrelevant to my development as a human being. Unlike the examples of labeling and trauma, I had top grades, was an ideal student - well at least til my senior year in high school when I just rebelled. I used to test out as the top 2 in my class. How absurd that was to me. I remember hearing people say things and smiling at me and I couldn't for the life of me find the joy they seemed to be having at my academic acumen. From my perspective, I had figured out "the system" pretty easily and quickly and oh so badly wanted some more challenge. A couple of years ago I was watching women's basketball on t.v. and I burst into tears. Totally got me by surprise. I had been a cheerleader in High School, got the letter and all the popular crap that goes with that. But, deargawdinheaven, I wanted to play basketball! There was no girl's basketball team at my high school. Remember the Mensa to-do? Now we have the everybody's-doing-better-cause-we're-testing-more ridiculousness everywhere. Now that I am teaching private music lessons, it is sad to say that most if not all my techniques for teaching include a not-to-do-ever list of experiences from my own schooling. To tell you the truth, it's an absolute miracle that anyone comes out a decent musician who is attending a traditional school. It seems to me that I spend a good part of my 20 somethings pretty much unlearning most of what I had been taught in school. And all the while, the myth that you can't make a decent living as a musican keeps being stated as though it were fact. I have a friend who teaches second grade in a public school. She has been teaching for 30 years. A veritable Mary Poppins and a brilliant mathemetician, she has to teach the material she is given. She is forced to have seven year olds spend 45 minutes a day writing. So that's another extreme for me, the insanity that administrations are perpetuating. I spoke with a first grader yesterday who has homework... forcryingoutloud. Okay, so I'm starting to ramble here.
Carol