Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Extreme examples of traditional schools

From: Ryan Singer <ryan.singer_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu Oct 6 19:09:00 2005

I work in Technology, and every time we talk about something new we have to
talk about a migration path to get from where we are now to where we want to
be. It is usually a good assumption that what we have was a good solution
for why it was chosen, but new needs make us evaluate new choices.

In education of children this simply isn't true. The public school system
was never better than what we had before it. Before public schools were
mandatory in the state of New York, the literacy rate was higher than it has
ever been since.

Children need the absolute freedom that allows them to follow their
curiosity to their interests without having to ask permission or be judged.
Without this, some degree of serious psychological damage is inevitable.
Given this need, only two methods of educating a child seem appropriate:

1. not sending them to school, but instead letting them use their time as
they see fit

2. sending them to a school that allows them to use their time as they see
fit.

The reason to opt for the second over the first is so that the child can be
exposed to a greater variety of peers and role models than they would find
at home and in the neighborhood. Another good reason would be because the
school would have more resources to assist the children who ask for help in
pursuing their interests and curiosity.

My experience in college was that students who were either homeschooled or
went to a sudbury-style school were much more mature and also more dedicated
than students from other public or private schools.