Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Extreme examples of traditional schools

From: Karen Locke <klocke_at_mn.rr.com>
Date: Thu Oct 6 18:46:01 2005

I've been in many arguments about "best" or "better" schooling with people,
most of whom have an investment in not thinking their own particular model
of schooling is inhumane. Just think about the first poster in this
argument - "I know my school crushes creativity....." How does it feel to
write or say those words? We all want our own efforts to be helpful and
meaningful, to believe we are doing something basically good.

I think of education as needing a variety of choices. I think Sudbury is on
the cutting edge, as are schools like mine (online, project-based public
school). We are trying to make an inroad into something entrenched. I want
to recognize people for making strides, not only for reaching the end goal.
That's what I try to do with kids - I want to extend it to adults too. We
are trying to do our best, and looking for examples like Sudbury to help us
do it a little better :)

Karen