Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Extreme examples of traditional schools

From: Scott David Gray <sdg_at_sudval.org>
Date: Thu Oct 6 15:18:01 2005

I've heard this argument; that military school is more
humane than 'humanistic' schools where there is a 'fun,
positive' atmosphere.

The argument goes, that at *least* in a military school they
are telling you *straight* what is expected of you, and they
are only touching your body -- not your soul or sense of
self.

Having never been in a military school, I don't feel
comfortable agreeing or disagreeing with this statement.
But I do want to agree with Woty's sentiments -- one of the
most painful aspects of my "humanistic" schooling was the
feeling that there was something wrong with *me* because I
didn't find the "humanistic" approach fun, positive, or
consensual (heck, think about the word 'consent' -- I want
to be active in my life, not to passively consent).

--

--Scott David Gray
reply to: sdg_at_sudval.org