Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Extreme examples of traditional schools

From: Woty <woty_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu Oct 6 14:43:00 2005

Conventional schools make no bones about compelling children to do
things. Humanistic schools compel children to pretend, and often to
believe, that they are actually consenting, and are actually
respected, and that the people in charge actually know and care
what's best for the captive children. The children are lead to expect
just treatment, and are then betrayed and badly mislead about justice
and freedom.

In other words -- in conventional schools, children are allowed to
hate what they are compelled to do and no one insists to them that
they are actually experiencing a fun, positive atmosphere. And people
are far less likely to get offended and angry when a child doesn't
want to do a carefully planned fun project about trees or participate
in a fun group baking project.

~Woty