[Discuss-sudbury-model] Extreme examples of traditional schools

From: Mark MacFadyen <macfadyen2002_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Thu Oct 6 10:32:01 2005

I've been reading some of the archives and noticed the examples of traditional schooling are really extreme. Some of these schools sound like they're right out of the dark ages. I teach in a privite traditional school; however, we are very humanistic in our approach, and I do a lot of project based learning. Kids go to the bathroom whenever they like, and there is a fun, positive atmosphere about the school. We help each other, learn together cooperatively. Still, report cards, evaluating children, and many other aspects of my traditional school are absolutely wrong. I know my school crushes creativity, it is the worst possible model for the education of children. But I want to make the point that, well, traditional school doesn't have to = hell.

Mark

Yahoo! for Good