Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] (no subject)

From: Hughes <hughes0005_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed Oct 5 10:49:00 2005

Just yesterday I gave a first ever piano lesson to a little girl about to
turn 8. She was bright, could coordinate her hands quickly at the piano and
did a lot of giggling (loved playing the piano). With her eyes cast down
she told me she "couldn't read yet". I said, no problem, she didn't need to
read to play the piano, and that she had plenty of time to learn to read. I
would love to be able to banish from the planet this notion that it is being
stamped on young very bright minds that WHEN you learn to read is an
indication of your worth. She is enrolled in a public school that "has a
good reputation". at one point in the lesson she asked me if she "had to"
do something I just showed her. I made a huge joke out of the fact that she
had used the words "have to" and she must never ever "have to" do anything
in my piano lessons. Her relief was palpable. It never ceases to amaze me
that more educators aren't getting that forced learning is a big fat
failure.
Carol