Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] (no subject)

From: cheryl huff <chuff57_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Tue Oct 4 17:37:00 2005

It's great to hear you acknowledge this about the gifted label, Tay and
Naomi. I am just beginning to try to find an SV school for my six year old
son. One of the things I dislike about the traditional school he is in is
that the biggest criteria for the gifted/not gifted dicotomy is early
reading - and nothing else is evaluated as gifted. My son has always been
totally 3D and kinestetic - he creates big moving sculptures out of found
objects but this kind of active physical learning is totally squelched for
"sit down and color or fill in worksheets, and when you finish, put your
head down on the table." I have no interest in having him labled gifted if
that is the criteria. I too was a sit and read and explore child, but he
isn't and his learning will come in very different ways from mine - I have
one brother who was a whiz with cars too and he couldn't wait to get out of
school where he was suffering and bored. Now he runs a research
engineering design lab at a major university and loves the freedom he has
to create robots and models of massive elaborate machines. It took him a
long time to get to where he is by going in a traditional route, and it
wasn't easy. I want it to be less indirect for my son.

Thanks for all your insight!

cheryl huff
chuff57_at_earthlink.net