[Discuss-sudbury-model] Re: Searching for Sudbury

From: Maria Scinto <mfscinto_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu Sep 22 15:04:00 2005

Hi Cheryl! Good to know you have some experience w. St. Anne's - it's still hard for me to get a feel for how it would be for my son when I am just seeing it from the perspective of a new staff member. I do know that there are a large number of "staff kids" here at present, and none of them seem to be at all embarrassed by it. The little kids love it, but even the middle schoolers seem perfectly happy to have mom or dad in the same building. I don't know whether this situation would be more or less likely (both the # of staff kids and the lack of embarrassment) at a Sudbury school - depends on the school, I guess. Or the kids. Or the parents.

The Maryland Sudbury School is Fairhaven, http://www.fairhavenschool.com/, and I want to state explicitly that any comments I may have made that might have been seen as being negative in any way (the "popularity contest" thing) were based on my own speculation, fears, etc. and not on any actual experience at a school. I have not visited Fairhaven but have corresponded with a staff member and have heard nothing but positives about it. The tuition is quite reasonable, too, even if (unfortunately) that means the salaries are on the low side. If in future St. Anne's does not prove a good fit for my son (or myself), I would still consider sending him there - the ONLY negative thing in my perspective (and perhaps yours) is that the school would appear to be a fairly long (45+ minute) commute from any major population centers where it would be likely that you (or I) could find work - it's sort of equally convenient/inconvenient to reach from Baltimore, DC, or Annapolis, located in SE PG
 County as it is. (A fairly expensive area to live in as well - isn't that always the case? Plenty of jobs=pricy real estate.) Of course the upside would be that it seemt to be in a very pretty, nice, secluded area - and of course a school's got to build wherever they can find/afford the real estate.

Anyway - good luck with your decision, and let me know/look me up if you do decide to move to the area! It would be really cool to meet someone else who not only shares the same philosophy but faces the same challenges I do. It's too bad we can't start a single mom's unschooling cooperative! That would be really cool.

Maria

Yahoo! for Good