Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] searching for sudbury

From: Hughes <hughes0005_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed Sep 21 11:49:00 2005

Hi Cheryl,
Trying to navigate a child's education in this modern world of outdated
educational models is extremely difficult. I just want to encourage you to
keep networking and reaching out to everyone you meet in this process. Your
child has an aware mother and that automatically puts him in a more
advantageous place. I see the results of the standard educational model
every day in my work as a private piano/voice teacher. Many students, very
bright students, ages 6-8 have gotten the message that fear and pressure and
someone in authority, are necessary ingredients for them to learn and be
prepared in life. Also, that they must not listen to their own instincts
for what is right for them. I homeschooled for four years before putting my
three children in SVS. One difficulty that I found in homeschooling was
that the community was fast becoming a group of families that were doing so
to have better control over their children's life experience. Since I was
home schooling for the opposite reason... I wanted my kids to learn their
own controls/choices. I found myself hearing about other people's notion of
how to do the very same kind of teaching at home that was happening in
schools... only in a nicer, kinder way. I consulted Clonlara. It is a very
nice program. However, it is a curriculum. There is testing and reporting.
And it is definately a nicer version of the traditional model, but
nevertheless it is an "outside" influence driven material that is foisted
upon the student. However nicely you put it, if you make the choices for
your child, in my opinion you simply delay the time in his/her life when he
will have to learn how to make his/her own choices. I had a friend once who
was a trumpeter in the West Point School band, yes, it is not students, but
very highly skilled professionals who are hired. He was well paid and
supporting a family on his income. He gave up the job because he couldn't
stand watching how the military approach to teaching was making babies of
the students. They were helpless to make any decisions on their own.
Empowerment for a child to learn, study, earn, think, and design one's own
life is the job of educators and parents. Kudos to you for all that you are
trying to do.
Regards,
Carol