[Discuss-sudbury-model] searching for sudbury

From: cheryl huff <chuff57_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Tue Sep 20 06:45:00 2005

I am just beginning to look for a Sudbury model school for my 6 year old son. I have been unhappy with his very traditional classroom experience - Primary One (kindergarten) in Scotland was an attempt to "socialize" children into sitting still, working on worksheets and then going out to a play area which was very small, crowded and made of asphalt and stone with no equipment save a few tired elastic jumpropes and an old ball or two. He came home bloody and often bitten. He was mauled every day by a very large classmate and learned to hit and kick. In spite of it all, he did well with numbers and words and we did much exploring of the Scottish coast, the museums and science centers of Edinburgh and Glasgow and several castles. He learns best when allowed to explore things, especially 3 dimensional objects and loves to create sculptures, "machines" and systems with ropes, weights, branches...whatever he can find.

Now we are back in America and he is at a charter school in coastal NC. While many of our friends find it to be a great school, I feel he is just being molded into this cookie cutter role of 1st grader - they all must be reading by the beginning of 1st, and he isn't, but he is ahead in math, which is being ignored, so of course he feels like a loser. He is rebelling against the non-stop structure of sitting and being quiet and isn't finding friends in the class - he doesn't even know many of the kid's names after 4 weeks of school.

So, after this sad rant, can anyone give me ideas of what to look for in a school - and what I should be considering while I am looking? I am an adjunct college instructor and need to live near enough to colleges (though I also teach online) to make a living as the sole support of us both. I have considered homeschooling but want him to have an experience of working as a member of a community of learners.

Any help is appreciated.

cheryl huff
chuff57_at_earthlink.net