Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] What gives the state the right to *make us* go to school in the first place?

From: Sally Rosloff <sallyr_at_socal.rr.com>
Date: Tue Aug 9 15:23:00 2005

Hi Reb,
I've been organizing old emails and came across this one of yours. Did you
ever have a chance to post the outcome of this? I don't remember seeing
anything further.

I'm interested because I've been thinking along these lines myself...about
these legal issues and any remote possibility of bringing lawsuits against
the current system, particularly as the NCLB requirements require more and
more conformance to a single standard across the country. At least a
discussion of these issues, as you've raised them, can be consciousness
raising.

I know that before I got my "consciousness raised" I never really
questioned that the education of the public school system wasn't anything
but something desirable and appropriate to becoming an adult member of a
democratic society. Boy, have I come a long way! Now I question the right
of states to withhold public funding for any but basically one system,
developed without public input, coming with regulations, guidelines, laws,
rules, one-size fits all, etc. I want public funding for "many paths" and
would love to discuss the legalities of this.

Sally