Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Start up in Louisiana

From: Chantal Saucier <chantal_at_asteur.org>
Date: Tue Aug 2 15:03:00 2005

On Aug 2, 2005, at 1:31 PM, Jeff Collins wrote:

> It does...
>
> And I agree, getting the property is critical...
>
> Jeff Collins
> Hudson Valley Sudbury School

Thanks everyone for the replies and encouragement. We need it!!

I agree. I, too, believe that our idea would be easier to sell if we
had the property to show. We have found a property that we all fell in
love with: 7 and 1/2 acres, large house, outbuildings, large barn, at
the end of a dead end, with no neighbors on two sides. It belongs to
friends of mine and they are ready to put it on the market. It won't
stay on the market for long when they do, but they are giving us 30
days to see if we can get something going (not to raise the price of
the place, but to have a start and be able to show that we can raise
the money). We don't know how we can do that at this point. We are
talking about nearly half a million big ones!!! Any ideas out there?
How did you guys acquire the property for your school? Should we look
into renting instead of buying? I thought that perhaps we could
approach investors and convince them to invest in the property for us
and we would buy it back from them in the medium to long run, but where
we are going to find people willing to do this is a little beyond me at
this point. I guess we will just have to start knocking on doors and
see where it leads us.

Thanks again. It's nice to know that other people are there to help and
share what they've learn along the way....

Chantal

PS we have a 501c3 and are ready to accept donations.