[Discuss-sudbury-model] sudbury school in SC?

From: Qn0fSpades <qn0fspades_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun Jul 24 07:21:00 2005

Hi there. I'm looking for a Sudbury school (or near as we can get) in South Carolina, near Lexington or Columbia. Any suggestions?

I'm looking on behalf of my 8-year old brother. My mother and stepfather adopted him a year ago, and he's had a terrible time adjusting to school. He has classic ADHD, and we're having him tested for Fetal Alchohol Syndrome. He's a bright, caring, and funny kid--he found me crying once, and I've never seen such genuine concern--he is still extremely curious about everything and loves to hang out in the library. But he's been pushed around his whole life, from one place to another, and he's now becoming quite rebellious and manipulative. We want to stop that trend in its tracks as soon as possible.

I think the public school system is killing him. He has a hard time controlling his behaviour when he has to do things along with the whole class, and I hope he might blossom in a system where he got to choose his own path. He's been kicked out of several day care situations because of his temper tantrums (rebelling against structured activities, usually), and trying to force him to conform with structured situations doesn't seem to be doing anyone any good.

At this point, we want to find a school that will help him learn to be a good human being. We're not so concerned at the moment about math, or reading, or history. We want him to learn to be happy, responsible, listened to, responsive to the requests of others (such as parents and teachers), etc. At this point, he needs moral education more than academic education.

Thanks for your help. Hope to hear from you soon.