Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] IDEC - conference in Berlin, Germany

From: Mimsy Sadofsky <mimsys_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun Jun 19 21:38:00 2005

Dear Mike,

I am sorry that in the first paragraph of your email you chose to
misrepresent what was said by Daniel Greenberg about our reasons,
which were extremely well thought out and detailed to you in several
long letters, about our decision not to go to IDEC.

I am surprised that you chose to characterize what was said as "busy
with her own workshop", which sounds a little petulant and as if we at
SVS had reneged on an agreement.

I can assure you I do not have a personal workshop, although Sudbury
Valley School is hosting an international Workshop in July which will
be attended by many people from all over Europe as well as from other
continents. However that was being planned when you first approached
us about IDEC.

On the other hand, I have been present at, and hopefully useful to,
three very successful, well-attended and very focussed two and three
day workshops in Europe in the past year. All of them were about
Sudbury schooling as well as variations that people wanted to talk
about and were working on. Two of them were in Germany; one was
attended by people from all over Europe and from Israel; the second by
people from The Netherlands and many parts of Germany; and the third
event by people from all over Spain. These weekend workshops took
place in July of 2004 and in April of 2005. In fact you were present
at one of the German workshops.

What we said was that we have limited resources and choose to expend
them on things that are, as you had originally said that IDEC would
be, enterprises that we feel we have a good chance of helping.

I also am not lazy about traveling, and go to Germany at least twice
each year, often spending some of my vacation time, as I did on both
trips this year, working with democratic school initiatives.

I hope IDEC is immensely successful, and I feel that I am owed an
apology -- instead of being treated as a professional, I feel I have
been characterized as a rather moody person, who changes her
priorities. My priorities are, and always have been, doing everything
I can that is feasible to promote what I consider to be an extremely
meaningful model of education. Sudbury Valley School's priorities
also do not shift or lose focus. I think from our acquaintance you
know me to be such a professional, to have such priorities, and to be
tireless in my pursuit of these goals.

Mimsy Sadofsky