Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Encouragment.

From: Woty <woty_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat Apr 9 22:07:00 2005

On Apr 9, 2005, at 16:42, Geert Wester wrote:

> And as for yourself: is it really necessary to regret to speak out what
> lives in your heart?

It depends on what's in your heart. If what's in one's heart is
regrettable, then one should regret it, and seek to change it. One
certainly should not inflict it on children just because it is there.

But what's better is to have good things in one's heart to begin with.
It's not that Sudbury model school staff should be constantly
repressing an urge to direct children. Rather, they should be genuinely
uninterested in directing them, and should internalize a different
role. I think that this is achievable and is being done already in some
places.

> I feel it is exactly this freedom that we have lost that hinders us to
> freely interact with children.

It's not clear to me what you think that we have lost. Could you
explain more?

> When the heavyness of our thoughts overshadows the love in our hearts,
> it is
> time to go out and feel the sun, the rain, the wind and let ourselves
> be
> cleansed.

But staff don't, and shouldn't, love the students as part of their role
in the community any more than students love all school meeting members
as a matter of course. They aren't daytime parents, they're adult
school meeting members. What does love have to do with how staff should
behave towards students?

~Woty