Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] variations on the model in practice

From: Christopher Weeks <clweeks_at_eclipse.net>
Date: Fri Apr 8 08:22:00 2005

Todd Pratum wrote:

> I agree that we should let kids decide, _for the most part_, what THEY
> think is good for them.

I don't care whether they think it's good for them or not. Smoking
isn't! It just isn't. And yet, it's none of my business how they
choose to medicate and/or recreate.

> But TV is--according to many experts and many with common sense--a
> unique and complicated situation.

Even if we all agree that TV is bad for you (and we don't!) I still
don't have the right to tell people they may not. Not when those people
are my equals. I don't watch TV. I choose not to buy cable TV. My son
would like it. He makes (we give him) enough money to buy it and we've
talked about it. So far, he choses to buy other stuff.

> Can children decide what food is best for them? (Doritos vs apples?)

They can choose what to eat. Sometimes the nutritional value of those
foods go into conscious decisions and sometimes not.

> What about nudity and touching?

Yes. There is no one else up to the task of deciding such things for
people. And nudity never hurts.

> Can children pick out good quality furniture as opposed to cheap
> poorly made furniture?

Who cares? They are uniquely suited to balance all the variables,
including cost and quality and comfort and make decisions about it.

> Can they tell what adults will respect them and what adults will abuse
> them?

Can you?

> TV looks simple but it is very complicated, way too complicated for a
> child to understand.

Children look simple but are very complicated, way too complicated for
you to understand.

> Yes, we all grew up with it, but what kind of people would we be if
> instead of watching TV when we were kids, instead we did something
> else like play in the woods or daydreamed?

We'd be out of touch with out social sphere. We wouldn't share a common
ground essential to getting along with everyone else. We would be
outcast freaks.

Chris