Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Some facts

From: Hilary Tuttle <hilary_at_binteractive.com>
Date: Fri Apr 8 07:36:00 2005

Scott, thank you for this post. I love it when the list starts buzzing
and I can almost hear the ideas banging around in people's minds..... It
is, however, SO hard for most of us to "get" the simple core of SVS,
namely that the kids are trusted and have the responsibility of self
determination in the framework of a democracy. You said it beautifully
in point #4. We're all so affected by our own experiences w/school and
education that the simple and radical notion of truly trusting children
to do what is right for themselves is terrifying. It DOES work though! I
see it every day in my son. He started at SVS when he was 5 and is now
in his forth year. Those of you who know him will agree that he is
flourishing and not one of us could name all his interests, they are
varied, changeable and HIS.

The most recent book put out by The Sudbury Valley Press "The Pursuit of
Happiness" demonstrates how successful an SVS education is. I recommend
it to anyone who is trying to understand the school.

Hilary