Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] variations on the model in practice

From: Jeff Collins <jcollins_at_bestweb.net>
Date: Fri Apr 8 05:32:00 2005

Todd,

It is very clear by a number of your statements in this and previous
emails that you really do not agree with a fundamental aspect of Sudbury
education or democratic education. It is clear that you don't
completely trust the kids to make their own decisions and choices, that
you feel that you are a better arbiter of their activities than they
are. I point this out not because I think there is anything wrong with
this belief, after all this is the basis of the compulsory education
system that is prevalent in our public schools, but to illustrate why I
think you will never come to agree with a Sudbury education.

As a Sudbury staff member, I personally believe that children can and
should be trusted to make their own choices. I don't feel that I am any
more able to determine a child's path in life than the child is to
determine their own path. I don't feel that I am in any way superior to
a child. The only real difference between me and the students at my
school is that I am older and more experienced than they are. However,
I don't feel this age and experience gives my the carte blanche right to
tell someone what they should be doing. If they ask my opinion, I will
give it and give it with the full understanding that they may choose to
totally ignore me.

Jeff Collins
Hudson Valley Sudbury School