Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Encouragment.

From: Todd Pratum <knowledge_at_pratum.com>
Date: Thu Apr 7 21:03:01 2005
Dear Geert,
  Just so you know, the story you mention is fictional, this has never happened (that we know of at least!), however, it is inspired by the many historical accounts of feral children, raised by wolves, apes, even gazelles.  I've read everything I can on the subject.  It is also the basis of the Tarzan story.  These real events are also of considerable importance to linguistic scholars who have been debating intensely for the last 35 years or so the idea of whether man possesses language innately, or whether it must be developed.  So far the evidence seems to weigh against the innate theory, as the feral children, even if rescued at a relatively early age, are unable to develop any but the most basics language skills, even after years of study.  There are also quite a few parents who have kept their children chained inside boxes or dungeons/basements for their entire childhood, never spoken, fed dog food and never allowed to go outside (etc & etc), and these children are also unable to develop any sophisticated language skills. Todd Pratum.

marctheriault@comcast.net wrote:
Geert,

Thank you, Merci, Dank u, Danke, Grazie, Gracias, ??? ????????????

(Just trying to touch all the bases.)

--
Prayers and Blessings,

Marc

Psalm 46:10
Be still, and know...

RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Encouragment.