Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Encouragment and resources.

From: Mike Sadofsky <sadofsky_at_comcast.net>
Date: Thu Apr 7 17:42:00 2005

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 22:59:47 +0200 (CEST), frodon444
<frodon444_at_yahoo.fr> wrote:

>To: discuss-sudbury-model_at_sudval.org
>Subject: RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Encouragment and resources.
>From: frodon444 <frodon444_at_yahoo.fr>
>Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 22:59:47 +0200 (CEST)
>

>Hi everybody,
>this discussion about encouragment made my think about the following :
>
>Can't the different resources available in the school be seen like an indirect encouragment, an encouragment to use them ? (rather than what is not available at the moment)
>
>It is not possible for example to have a library with every kind of book available on this planet. I suppose it is necessary to make a choice about what to buy (and what not) and to accept or not to put in what is given for free to the school from various people.
>
>More specifically, if methods are available for learning arithmetic or to read, there are very different aproaches that exists (f.e. concerning reading/writing, the global versus the sylabic method). Are all methods of learning available, or are they choosed to best fit the philosophy of the school ?
>
>The same is of course true with other tools available to the students.
>There are computers in SVS. Have the students the choice between using Windows, Mac OS or Linux ?
>
>In certain cases the fact to have a choice between different tools is more important than in others; but how is it decided ?
>
>I don't speak about what the students ask to have, but merely what is available for them before they ask for anything, and why this is available rather than that.
>
>I think these questions are very important to people who starts to build a democratic school.
>
>Best,
>Bernard.

I don't want to play a game of semantics as to whether items and
materials and ideas that exist in anyone's environment constitute
encouragement. For me it may be sufficient to say that kids as they
develop are trying to make sense of the world around them, in part by
watching and seeing and talking with others about how they (others)
use these elements.

As for the specifics (books, software, etc.) that exist at Sudbury
Valley School, they are there because the School Meeting kids and
staff - who kids vastly outnumber, have set up processes and
guidelines for there acquisition.

Mike Sadofsky