Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Re: Discuss-sudbury-model digest, Vol 1 #260 - 5 msgs

From: Mike Sadofsky <sadofsky_at_comcast.net>
Date: Thu Apr 7 17:34:12 2005

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 13:47:54 -0700 (PDT), Khadija <ammaflre_at_yahoo.com>
wrote:

>To: discuss-sudbury-model_at_sudval.org
>Subject: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Re: Discuss-sudbury-model digest, Vol 1 #260 - 5 msgs
>From: Khadija <ammaflre_at_yahoo.com>
>Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 13:47:54 -0700 (PDT)
>
>I have a daughter in a Sudbury School. thank goodness our school is not as fanatic as these posts I am reading. Honestly, you people make it sound as if the Sudbury model was a facist regime!!! I am not kidding - anything this severe is to be avoided in my book (I am a Muslim and believe me, extreme is not good!). People are people and although I believe that the model works and is useful, this extreme black and white view is dangerous. I am only saying this because I think that you all need to lighten up a bit. I was really shocked at reading the postings that talked about voting a staff member out if they did such and such which to me seemed hardly worth such a severe penalty. I am sorry to find such harsh ideas on this list...

I am prompted to write to endorse this perspective. Some of the views
I have been reading over the past few days seem extremist to me and
seem to be drawn from little basis and understanding of Sudbury Valley
School and/or the Sudbury model.

There is little or nothing that might be considered "extreme" at
Sudbury Valley School or in the Sudbury model other than the basic
notions that kids be allowed to take responsibility for their personal
intellectual development and that they have the opportunity to
participate in the community's business activities and collective
decision making (via a democratic process).

As for staff who may not be reelected, this has NEVER occurred at
Sudbury Valley without a great deal of personal (and collective)
discussion between members of the community and the staff member in
question over an extensive period prior to the staff election and
contract negotiation activity.

Some people may think that I, personally, have exercised "extremism"
in my occasional efforts to keep the annual Sudbury Valley School
Assembly (or business) meeting on track in my role as chair of that
meeting. But business does need to be completed and we have a process
and a widely accepted set of rules (Robert's) for the conduct of such
meetings. Sticking to the rules and procedures that the organization
adopts ought not to be considered extremism.

Mike Sadofsky