[Discuss-sudbury-model] What happened to Curiosity

From: Doug <doeskd_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Thu Apr 7 01:26:00 2005

Hi All;

I have been reading this list for several years and promised myself
that I would keep my big mouth shut. However, the recent discussions
have compelled me to jump in. Maybe I will find time later to
provide a brief intro.

SVS attracted my attention because of the focus on recognizing
children's natural curiosity. It happens to fit well with my
understand of the functions of the brain and also with my great
concern that traditional schooling is destroying curiosity. Hunger
drives us to eat to develop and nourish our internal bodies.
Curiosity drives us to acquire knowledge to understand the external
world in which we live.

What disturbs me is that in all of the discussions triggered by
Todd's post about encouragement, not one person has used the word
curiosity. I would have liked to seen a response to Todd such as;
Parents/Staff/Adults should do anything that stimulates, assists, or
support curiosity. Parents/Staff/Adults should do nothing that
inhibits, discourages, or interferes with curiosity.

The whole objective or goal should be to foster curiosity and the joy
of learning.

Democracy is the means not the goal. What is democracy in a non
philosophical real world sense? Political candidates are laundered
through the financial and special interest groups to make sure they
are politically correct and socially acceptable. And then we get to
chose between two or three pre selected puppets.

Does democracy not require that we accept the decision of the
majority? Are there provisions in democracy for us to opt out when
things don't go our way? It seems to me that people that chose SVS
or other private forms of schooling are opting out of the democratic
system. (Don't misinterpret my view point. If my children were
young, I would probably be doing the same thing. But I would not be
out preaching about democracy.)

At 10:50 AM +0200 6/4/05, David Rovner wrote:
>I think it was Winston Churchill who said, ~ "Democracy is an awfull
>system of goverment -- but all the others are worse"

Maybe democracy is the best or only way to achieve the goal, but
accept that it is seriously flawed and in need of constant revision.

There is little discussion on this list about how to foster curiosity
and far too much discussion about democracy. It seems to me that
many on this list are too preoccupied with and focused on democracy
and have lost sight of the goal. It is about the children, not about
how people manipulate or master their experiment in democracy.