Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] variations on the model in practice

From: Scott David Gray <sgray_at_sudval.org>
Date: Wed Apr 6 23:29:00 2005

I'd remind people that watching TV with a group is a
different activity than watching it on one's own. That it
becomes part of the conversation, and is watched very
critically. I don't want to suggest that there is anything
wrong with someone choosing to watch TV on her/his own, but
it is interesting to note at school that people virtually
*always* choose to watch TV in groups and keep an active
discussion of what they watch.

Oh, and I'd also strongly reccomend the book "Killing
Monsters" by Gerard Jones.

If I really believed that children under the age of 9 could
not think critically, there is no way that I could
*possibly* in good conscience work in a school where the
children from 4 on up are wholly responsible for their own
education. As it happens, I don't believe the funny numbers
that developmental psychologists from Piaget on have gotten
-- researchers like Carole Gilligan, and Bower (1982), and
general common sense have blown the lid off of sloppy
science that presumes absense of a skill simply because a
specific verbal *test* of that skill doesn't see it.

It's also worth noting that Jerry Mander's book has been
roundly criticized even by developmental psychologists as
politically inspired and drawing unwarrented conclusions for
a couple correlations picked out of a hat while other
correlations are dismissed.

But this topic has been discussed many times, in many
places. So rather than repeating arguments that have been
raised before, I'd like to refer people to the following
threads:

http://www.sudval.org/archives/dsm6/index.html#163

http://www.sudval.org/archives/dsm7/index.html#279

http://www.sudval.org/pipermail/discuss-sudbury-model/2003-March/thread.html#379