Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] variations on the model in practice

From: Richard Berlin <rberlin_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Tue Apr 5 21:31:01 2005

> (althnough, I do think there is sufficient material suggesting that
> television viewing has unhealthy impacts on baby, toddler, preschool,
> and
> young viewers,and the American Academy of Pediatrics came out with an
> official position statement on this last year as a result of a landmark
> study that was published in Newsweek

The AAP statement is at

     http://www.aap.org/pubed/ZZZGF8VOQ7C.htm?&sub_cat=1

and says in part

"Television affects how your child learns. High-quality, nonviolent
children's shows can have a positive effect on learning. Studies show
that preschool children who watch educational TV programs do better on
reading and math tests than children who do not watch those programs.
When used carefully, television can be a positive tool to help your
child learn.

"For older children, high-quality TV programs can have benefits.
However, for younger children it's a very different story. The first
two years of life are especially important in the growth and
development of your child's brain. During this time, children need
good, positive interaction with other children and adults to develop
good language and social skills. Learning to talk and play with others
is far more important than watching television.

"Until more research is done about the effects of TV on very young
children, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) does not recommend
television for children younger than two years of age. For older
children, the AAP recommends no more than one to two hours per day of
quality screen time."

This seems very different from the assertion you seem to be making
above that TV has unhealthy impacts across the board.

-- Rich