[Discuss-sudbury-model] Re: Encouragement

From: CRW Pup <crwpup_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Tue Apr 5 20:56:01 2005

>Message: 2
>Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 10:50:14 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Marc Kivel <marckivel1_at_yahoo.com>
>Subject: Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Encouragment.
>To: discuss-sudbury-model_at_sudval.org
>
>Woty,
>
>Thanks for taking the time to respond. I'd note that
>trying to wrestle with a school model is different
>than actually building relationships in a functioning
>school.
>
>Thinking through optimal levels and types of
>encouragement are certainly a different matter than
>practice. And while it's nice to say that learners
>should be free to end their learning without penalty
>or sanction, I have to ask, should the staffer's
>feelings and desire to share based on an inquiry
>initiated by the learner be of so little concern to
>the learner per se? I support learning, but I also
>support civility and respect for other's time and
>talents.

Perhaps it's akin to some relationships with which we as adults might be
familiar. For example, you might enter therapy, only to find that you just
don't click with the therapist. You pay her for her services, yet you
don't keep going out of "respect for her time and talents." Or you take up
tennis lessons, pay for a few, and then decide you don't like it after all
and quit. The staff member is being compensated for being available to
that student _and_ for being unavailable when that is required. Should the
staff member become personally invested in whether or not the student
"liked his teaching?" Probably not.

> > Staff members have no right or responsibility to
> > encourage students to eat healthy foods, exercise,
>or > share their attitude toward risk.
>
>I disagree. Folks regularly share opinions with me
>that I disagree with - I may not like their opinions
>but I don't deny them their "air time."

Yes, but these folks are probably not coming from a position of (perceived)
power over you. It's very different for me when my sister suggests
something than when my mother does. Technically, my mother has no power
over me. I am financially solvent and a legal adult. However, there's
something about that relationship that still has an imbalance. If your
supervisor at work said "I think you should consider working late tonight,"
it's quite different from your colleague saying "hey, why don't we work
late tonight?"

Kids in a democratic school are still coming from the larger world and/or
from other schools, and may believe at some level (perhaps subconscious)
that you have power and therefore that your suggestion or encouragement is
"loaded."

Liz