[Discuss-sudbury-model] Re: encouragement

From: CRW Pup <crwpup_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Tue Apr 5 20:46:00 2005

>Message: 9
>From: Woty <woty_at_bellsouth.net>
>Subject: Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Encouragment.
>

> School meeting members have a responsibility to uphold the law, and
>the school meeting has a responsibility to pass laws which protect
>individual rights, safety, the school's property, and conformance with
>local laws. Staff members have a responsibility to take part in
>upholding school law because they are school meeting members and
>because they are paid to do the school's work, not because they are
>adults.

This begs the question - would you hire a 14-year-old to be on
staff? Assume that working papers and such are all in order, the child is
brilliant and well-traveled and capable of teaching many things if students
require her services and ask for them.

>Upholding the school laws does not entail taking personal
>responsibility for directing the lives of students, even in matters of
>health and safety.

"...even in matters of health and safety." So you're saying that an adult
should not interfere if little Sasha is about to touch the hot stove?

I'm not trying to be obnoxious. I am sincerely trying to find out if you
really truly mean "NO INTERFERENCE. EVER." or if you are merely making a
point. Where is your line?

> > Give me a hand loom and some
> > colorful yarn and let me mess with it awhile because I
> > want to know how to make it "work"...I'll bet within
> > half an hour I'll have at least a couple of learners
> > kibbitzing about my progress, asking questions or
> > giving suggestions on how to untangle my ungodly
> > mess..laughing
>
>Why is that funny? I don't see your point. This is a completely mundane
>activity which doesn't seem to have any relation to the question at
>hand. People do things and other people find the things interesting,
>and sometimes they try to participate. What of it?

Perhaps his point is that the people who are gathered around and curious
might not have ever found out what a loom was, or discovered their own
intense interest in color or fabric or the arts, if he hadn't started doing
it in their presence. Someone else wrote earlier that bringing in one's
knitting could be construed as coercive to some extent! But many schools
provide a kitchen, and books, and games. Isn't that, to some extent and by
the same logic, tantamount to saying "look! Try cooking! Try
playing! Try reading!"?

Liz