RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Re: teaching and staff salaries

From: Lisa Crocker <lisacrocker_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Tue Apr 5 20:28:00 2005

Hi Liz,
I am lucky in that the first manifestation of my school will be a 3 day
homeschool program, and so far the three people who have said they would
like to be staff are stay-at-home moms who happen to have teaching degrees
and experience in alternative education, and are not looking to this to
support their family. Still, if possible, I think it best to at least start
the budget with a wage that you see happening when things are ideal, enough
students, enough fundraising that is successful, etc. I think this should
be the starting off point, and then go from there and get creative if there
are not yet enough students to to cover costs yet, but the business plan
needs to work with a certain goal for enrollment and a good wage for staff.
This is why I was asking about salaries, trying to get a sense of what
teachers/mentors/other staff are getting for salaries, and if "teachers" get
more than "staff" - meaning someone without a teaching degree.