[Discuss-sudbury-model] Re: teaching and staff salaries

From: CRW Pup <crwpup_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Tue Apr 5 20:16:01 2005

>Message: 2
>Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 07:24:06 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Marc Kivel <marckivel1_at_yahoo.com>
>Subject: Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] teaching and staff salaries
>To: discuss-sudbury-model_at_sudval.org
>
>Lisa,
>
>In re salaries...if you're going to have a full time
>staff (30 contact hours per week or whatever you feel
>constitutes "fulltime" employment), I think there's an
>ethical obligation to pay a liveable wage. Assuming a
>175 day school year and 6 hrs per day of service,
>that's 1,040 service hours over ten months. At $17.50
>per hour that is $18,200 for ten months. Don't forget
>the employers contribution to Social Security and
>Medicare for your staff.
>
>While this may or may not be a livable wage for a head
>of family with dependents, it could be an outstanding
>salary for a) a retiree on fixed income, b) a graduate
>student, c) a person who is supplementing another
>spouse or partner's greater earnings, or d) a person
>who is looking for experience before opening their own
>school.

In other words, you can't really teach in this school _and_ support
yourself in a sustainable way unless you're: really young and still
supported by parents (an assumption I'm making about your fictional
graduate student who can afford not only to pursue an advanced degree but
also to work for that little), really old and supported by your retirement
savings, a trust-fund baby who can work for that little before starting
your own school (with all the start-up capital that will require), or
married and sponging off your spouse for a while.

Doesn't that rule out a lot of potential staff members?

Liz