RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] variations on the model in practice

From: Lisa Crocker <lisacrocker_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Tue Apr 5 19:49:00 2005

Hi Rich and all
Thanks for the responses so far. Ouch - my credibility with whom? This
listserve? The public? I would never make such a statement in any kind of
forum where I would have to support it, I am just talking off the cuff here.

(althnough, I do think there is sufficient material suggesting that
television viewing has unhealthy impacts on baby, toddler, preschool, and
young viewers,and the American Academy of Pediatrics came out with an
official position statement on this last year as a result of a landmark
study that was published in Newsweek - however, I am the last person to go
with something just because the AAP says it's good - vaccinations being a
case in point.

I'm just not sure what you meant by the credibility comment -

BUT, but, but, in keeping with Jennifer Blair's comment about resources
espousing the benefits of video games - does anyone have any paraphrased
information on this side of the argument and sources of the information? Is
there a valid, credible argument that young children ages 5 - 9 can actually
benefit from playing video/computer games and/or watching television? (I am
not talking about content here, there is a documented physical/neurological
impact of attending to and viewing these forms of media for extended or
recurring periods of time).

I totally get Rich's comment/warning about deciding what is left for the
democratic decision making and what is not - that is not a good place to be
and is hypocritical. Thus, my dilemma.