Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] variations on the model in practice

From: Jennifer Blair <noise44_at_msn.com>
Date: Tue Apr 5 19:21:01 2005

MessageLisa,
  There is also literature in support of video games. The one source I know of is: What Video Games Have to Teach Us About Learning and Literacy by James Paul Gee<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-author=James%20Paul%20Gee/102-5438973-5656912>. I would suggest checking it out before making a final decision.

  When I was at Red Cedar they did not (and still do not) allow video games or "educational" computer games for students above 3rd grade. I believe they made a rule against it when it was a Sudbury model, but Iwasn't there then so I cannot speak to that. My class loved video games, so I gave them the opportunity to make their own. (yes, I gave them the opportunity... this was not a sudbury model school...essentially I ensured they had time in their school day to work on them).

  Jennifer Blair