[Discuss-sudbury-model] variations on the model in practice

From: Lisa Crocker <lisacrocker_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Tue Apr 5 18:15:00 2005

Hello all,

I am wondering if anyone on this list is currently involved in or working on
starting a sudbury model school that has variations from sudbury. Some talk
about the "encouragement" idea has been had. Is anyone doing anything else
different from sudbury, and why, and how is it working?

I am at the beginning phases of starting a democratic school, that will
start as a homeschool group meeting three days week. Ultimately, we will
aim to be a recognized independent school in the state of vermont -
hopefully by the following year. I have 3 other teachers (I am an early
childhood teacher) who are also parents of children who would attend now or
eventually when they get older - this is the beginnings of my founding team.
We are getting to the place where we will need to have our "let's get our
foundation philosophy straight" meeting - so we are all on the same page. I
am wondering about possible areas of disagreement here - and I know this is
not along the pure Sudbury model, but I do not want to have television or
videogames at the school, at least at the beginning. Of course, there will
not be money budgeted for this at first, and the children are going to be
young - 5 - 9 years old to start. Now we KNOW from current research that
telelvision viewing and computer game playing is bad for the brain, and has
even been found to contribute to "attention disorders" in children and
adults. Is anyone else doing a free school with limitations in this regard?

I know I am opening myself up here for a lot of critique - it is okay, I am
looking to hear if others are doing free schools with some foundational
limitations like this one.

Lisa in Vermont

anabnr2.gif Nature_Bkgrd.jpg