Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Socrates

From: Scott David Gray <sgray_at_sudval.org>
Date: Tue Apr 5 13:37:00 2005

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005, Woty wrote:

> On Apr 5, 2005, at 11:04, Scott David Gray wrote:
>
> > The Socratic Method? Do people actually think that this
> > showed any sincere respect for the 'student?'
>
> Certainly it doesn't as practiced now.
>
> Popper argues in _The Open Society and Its Enemies_ that Socrates
> genuinely respected young people and thought of them as friends, but
> that Plato misrepresented him in later works. He argues that Socrates
> was not authoritarian but that Plato was. I haven't studied the period
> much, so I don't know how credible this line of argument is.

Several writers besides Plato spoke about Socrates. The
humorist, Aristophanes, shows his understanding of Socrates
(as an arrogant buffoon) in 'the Clouds.' Plato was perhaps
the most sycophantic.

The most balanced picture (in my opinion) comes from
Xenophon -- a man who counted himself a friend, but a friend
who was critical of Sorcates' lifestyle and opinions. That's
why I suggested Xenophon as a source.

But you're absolutely right to draw a distinction between
Plato and Socrates. Plato was to Socrates as Paul was to
Jesus of Nazareth... One popularized the other, and each
stressed his own particular spin and opinions in doing so.

> Have you read _Open Society_? If so, do you have an opinion on the
> arguments Popper raises?

I haven't read Popper yet. Is there a simple way to
summarize his arguments?

--

--Scott David Gray
reply to: sgray_at_sudval.org