Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Socrates

From: Woty <woty_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue Apr 5 13:11:01 2005

On Apr 5, 2005, at 11:04, Scott David Gray wrote:

> The Socratic Method? Do people actually think that this
> showed any sincere respect for the 'student?'

Certainly it doesn't as practiced now.

Popper argues in _The Open Society and Its Enemies_ that Socrates
genuinely respected young people and thought of them as friends, but
that Plato misrepresented him in later works. He argues that Socrates
was not authoritarian but that Plato was. I haven't studied the period
much, so I don't know how credible this line of argument is.

Have you read _Open Society_? If so, do you have an opinion on the
arguments Popper raises?

~Woty