Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Encouragment.

From: Todd Pratum <knowledge_at_pratum.com>
Date: Tue Apr 5 00:05:00 2005
Thank you Jennifer for this further clarification, I think I finally have a good idea of Sudbury's perspective on this subject.  Thank you all. I don't agree with this but I will be thinking about it a lot.  It seems extremist to me, and ultra-dogmatic, an over-reaction to our modern destructive educational system, but I realize it is born out of a sincere desire to spare kids the judgmental crimes of our ageist society.  And I continue to believe that Sudbury is a powerful force for good in the world.  I'm re-reading all the pedagogical philosophers again from Socrates on down, they all can't be wrong!    Todd Pratum.

Jennifer Blair wrote:
Thank you, this makes complete sense. My understanding had been that staff should not engage in activities unless initiated by a student and similarly should not engage in personal activities, such as bringing a knitting project to school or deciding to start a garden because of the potential influence on kids choices.
Jennifer