Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Encouragment.

From: Todd Pratum <knowledge_at_pratum.com>
Date: Mon Apr 4 18:26:01 2005
Dear Alan, you wrote "I think I fall a bit outside of what is practiced at SVS itself. They tend to be pretty strict constructionists in this area..."  What do you mean by constructionists?  This is not a term used in philosophy, psychology, or education.

The reason I am wondering is because I am looking for any historical background to this idea of not encouraging kids in anyway.  Of course the idea has appeared at times in the past with individual discoveries, but as far as I can find it has never been codified, defined, or discussed at length in academic or cultural institutions.

And by extension, does this mean that Sudbury holds no educational thinkers or education systems in high regard?

I'd also like to thank you for your previous posts, I found them, of all the postings, the most clearly stated and the most to the point of what I am asking about and for that I am grateful.

 Thank you!  Todd Pratum.

Alan Klein wrote:

I co-founded and taught at The Highland School, which is also a democratic school, but which we started in 1981 before we found out about SVS. We had the same reaction you did in 1985 when we discovered SVS!

I think I fall a bit outside of what is practiced at SVS itself. They tend to be pretty strict constructionists in this area. My preference is to err on the side of caution, make sure that my relationship with the particular kid is sound, that the particular kid is not likely to be still caught up with authority issues, that I am as clear as possible about my own motivation in any encouragement I offer, and that I frame it as a clear offer and not as an expectation or anything approaching a command. I want the kids to know who I am and where I stand on things. I want them to have the freedom to accept or reject my offers, as would anyone with whom I interact.

~Alan Klein