Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Encouragment.

From: Lori Mortimer <lori_at_lorimortimer.com>
Date: Mon Apr 4 04:57:01 2005

At 07:25 PM 4/3/2005, you wrote:
>I don't encourage children any more or less vis-a-vis
>nutrition than I do vis-a-vis academia. I might look at
>someone's having for lunch and mention that *I* wouldn't eat
>it.

I guess my question about this approach is, isn't that type of statement a
value judgment? And if so, doesn't it imply that you don't think the
student should be eating it? It seems like it's just a more polite way of
saying, "eeewwww," which seems like it might discourage the child from
eating it, at least at school or near you.

Lori

Lori Mortimer -- Writing & Instructional Design
http://www.lorimortimer.com

Leadership and Literacy Foundation
http://www.leadershipandliteracy.org/

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he
hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however
measured or far away."

-- Henry David Thoreau