Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Encouragment.

From: <Dannyasher_at_aol.com>
Date: Sun Apr 3 21:40:00 2005

This is Hanna from Sudbury Valley,

Todd,

At Sudbury Valley no one tells other people what to do. Staff doesn't tell
students nor other staff how to interact with others. We have no dogma. We
do have a philosophy of education which we all follow in our own personal
style. My own way of knowing how to talk to children is that if I can say
certain things to an adult friend then I can say the same to a child without
fearing that I am being authoritative. For me it is a clear litmus test. I
usually don't tell my adult friends to go on diets, read more about politics
before going to the voting booth, make detailed plans for their summer reading,
write a diary and so forth. I will at times tell them about a good movie or
book or exhibit in the museum that I think they will enjoy. It is always clear
that they can take it or leave it without changing our relationship. It
works for me as staff at SVS where I have hundreds of interesting conversations
with students and I don't think that I encourage then any more than I do my
best friends. I converse and interact with them in a genuine way but I do not
attempt to push them in any specific direction. It is their life and not
mine and it is their decision how to live it not mine.