Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Encouragment.

From: Todd Pratum <knowledge_at_pratum.com>
Date: Sun Apr 3 20:21:00 2005
Scott,

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.  I guess Sudbury people are so used to dealing with the questions and objections of people who don't trust children or who "grok" the model that it is difficult to see the subtlety of my question.  I never used the word "should." That clearly implies judgment.  Encourage means something different right?, (literally to give courage, to inspire or foster).

I have thought I made it clear that I am NOT talking about safety issues.  We are well beyond the question of safety here.  And I thought I made it clear that I am aware of the "evil" messages of our arrogant judgemental anti-child society, and the profound damage it has on the self esteem on children.  What I am trying to explore is something different, the notion that adults might posses knowledge about children that can be useful in helping the child, (in different ways), and that by encouraging them toward that knowledge could be of help to the child.  I have said before I am well aware of the terrible effect that this "knowledge" has had on pedagogy in the past when it used used in the wrong way (which it usually is).  But can our knowledge of children ever be used in a healthy way in the Sudbury model?  I'm wondering if any kind of knowledge about children can be ever used in the Sudbury model to guide/encourage/steer kids?

But what I am getting from your messages is that while there is no written rule, in reality there can be no encouragement at all, "or we would vote them out."  So if I know a kid who is fat, depressed, and friendless who never goes out to play, I cannot, in any case whatsoever, encourage him to go out and play.  Note I am not using the word "should" or anything close, but encourage, something like "Hey Joe, its really sunny and nice outside, want to play tennis with me and the guys"  I am fully aware of the fact that many kids need to stew in their own troubles before they can emerge/grow/change, and that for some kids even this seemingly innocuous encouragement will feel like a veiled judgment, but what you are saying is that it can never be done, ever, because of the possibility of injuring the child psychologically?  I would then further assume that using psychology of any kind is verboten?  Ditto for social pressure of any kind?   That nobody can use any knowledge that they may have about a child to steer, encourage, hint, subtly guide, or advise a child?  Hope this is clear, I really appreciate your time in this.  I am learning everyday.  Todd Pratum.

Scott David Gray wrote:
Todd,

You asked about health as an example of what you're talking
about:

  I don't encourage children any more or less vis-a-vis
nutrition than I do vis-a-vis academia. I might look at
someone's having for lunch and mention that *I* wouldn't eat
it. And if asked, say why. But I wouldn't say what s/he
*should* or *shouldn't* eat.
  On the other hand, if a person *of any age* is doing
something that seriously endangers him/herself in the
*moment* (rather than if it remains a behavior throughout
his/her life), I do the human thing and intervene! If you
see a person running down the middle of road, whatever age
s/he is, you stop and complain 'what are you an idiot? get
to the side!'

  I don't have any opinions on how people should play.
Though I happily admit my opinion that life is better when
one plays constantly (inccluding at one's work). On the
other hand, I sometimes mention to a person a game that I
played that I think s/he may like or enjoy.

  One way or other, we don't have a *rule* on the books
prohibiting a staff member from 'encouraging' something.
However, we would vote them out at the first opportunity.
And if they were obnoxious about it, they would get brought
up for infringement of rights.

  I *do* think that vis-a-vis adult/child relations, the
distinction between 'force' and 'encourage' is a much
subtler line than your discussion of etymology suggests.
In our culture, kids are bombarded by evil messages that
'others know what is best for *you*.' And for as long as
that is the case, an adult has to tread lightly to not have
any statement sound like a pronouncement.