Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Encouragment.

From: Scott David Gray <sgray_at_sudval.org>
Date: Sun Apr 3 17:53:01 2005

Language is a funny thing.

The phrase 'no encouragement allowed' is very strong, and a
little misleading in its tone.

I have expressed before the cultural norm for adults and
staff in Sudbury schools this way:

  I feel it to be rude or awkward for me to say or suggest
or advise a particular pursit *for the child's good.*

However, I certainly have casual, friendly personal
relations with students (just as I do with staff) in which I
might say 'oh you'd *love* this game' or 'I thought of you
when I was reading *this* book.'

The idea being that it is rude for me to think or act on any
ideas that *I* might know better for a person (of any age)
what is right for that person than s/he does. But I may
nonetheless have a reasonable desire to talk about something
with that person for *my* sake. There is an implied
disrespect in the former, but not the latter.

Of course, the line between these two behaviors is very
subtle. As I say, in practice this isn't something that
staff in Sudbury schools do *consciously* but rather it is
part of the *culture* and it would feel wrong to do
otherwise.

Let me give a case when one *wouldn't* suggest something to
another person. I don't walk up to people of *any* age and
sayor imply 'your life will be devoid of meaning if you
don't read this book.' Nor do I walk up to a person who I
don't know and say 'everyone is better off if s/he knows
algenbra.' That's not my place. And it is rude -- not just
at SVS but in any friendly company. Don't you hate people
who do taht to you (we've all met such people)?