RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Encouragment.

From: Alan Klein <alan_at_klein.net>
Date: Sun Apr 3 16:34:00 2005

I co-founded and taught at The Highland School, which is also a democratic
school, but which we started in 1981 before we found out about SVS. We had
the same reaction you did in 1985 when we discovered SVS!

I think I fall a bit outside of what is practiced at SVS itself. They tend
to be pretty strict constructionists in this area. My preference is to err
on the side of caution, make sure that my relationship with the particular
kid is sound, that the particular kid is not likely to be still caught up
with authority issues, that I am as clear as possible about my own
motivation in any encouragement I offer, and that I frame it as a clear
offer and not as an expectation or anything approaching a command. I want
the kids to know who I am and where I stand on things. I want them to have
the freedom to accept or reject my offers, as would anyone with whom I
interact.

~Alan Klein