Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] ORGANIZE!

From: Karen Locke <klocke_at_mn.rr.com>
Date: Thu Mar 31 07:21:00 2005

I liked this list of points. However, I think rather than black/white, people "get it " or they don't, there are gradations of "getting it".

I work at a project-based school. The teachers I work with get some of it. They realize how bad regular schools are, not realizing how boring classes are, that students need to explore things that interest them. However, the don't get that socializing is educational, that finding and meeting your own needs is educational.

I'm on a list for Nonviolent communication. Those folks are learning about communication to meet needs. most of them get that children have needs. But in schooling areas, those needs can't include freedom of association, or thought, etc.

I think we all have our blind areas. I obviously don't recognize mine.

I think "demonstration schools" are a good idea and necessary. Even then, I think people's concepts of what's possible will broaden gradually. At least that's been my experience. Most people can only widen their minds a little bit at a time.

I went to a natural childbirth class one time where the speaker said that it depended on people's backgrounds as to what option the doctors would recommend. For those who had traditional backgrounds they didn't recommend home birthing. It was too far away from what they knew. It made for nervousness, fear, etc. They would recommend something a little bit closer to their experience.

I ran an "unschool" based loosely on SVS at one time. Many parents valiantly tried to support the group, but it was impossible in the end. One parent had gone to West Point! It was just to far to stretch.

Just some early morning ramblings :)

Karen