Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] organize!

From: Jennifer Blair <noise44_at_msn.com>
Date: Wed Mar 16 07:17:00 2005

Well, your asking these questions on a Sudbury list.... There may be , and I hope there are, other initiatives out there that we just don't know about. Organizations/institutions seem to be more accepting of older kids...teens on youth organization boards, we have a couple on our state board of ed. (with full voting rights). What we should be asking is how we can get involved in organizations/institutions to encourage them to allow children's participation. The change doesn't happen immediately, sudden change probably wouldn't be successful anyway. Example. My daughters school was revising their bylaws. I had a conversation with the bylaws committee about children's participation in the governing process of the school, we discussed some history of democratic education... sudbury, summerhill and shaker mountain. We added a section on students rights and responsibilites, which have yet to be defined, but we have named that this is an issue important to us....the first step, though it may seem a small one.

Jennifer Blair