Fw: [Discuss-sudbury-model] testing and Sudbury Valley

From: <deshau_at_cwnet.com>
Date: Wed Feb 16 01:17:00 2005

Hi Caren,

I have a thought about your situation. I believe mandatory
regulation of private schools (aside from health and safety) is un-American.
A book from the 1970's -CHEEZ! Uncle Sam (SFCS Publications) by Ed Nagel
describes how his school - Santa Fe Community School (SFCS)
successfully battled the New Mexico State Board of Education. The school
fought state regulation as a violation of the US and New Mexico
Constitutions
and Bills of Rights. The American Civil Liberties Union was involved.
For example, violations of freedoms of speech and assembly were cited as
were rights to raise one's children as one sees fit and hold religious and
philosophical beliefs. In New Mexico, state accreditation was optional for
nonpublic schools but SFCS was denied use of free textbooks.

Best wishes to you and your legal help in your strategy in dealing with
mandatory testing that does violence to the Sudbury model.

Dennis
Arcata, CA