Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] testing and Sudbury Valley

From: Highland School <highland_at_ruralnet.org>
Date: Sun Feb 13 15:00:00 2005

If this is the second response on this, I apologize - I'm having computer problems. We review the policy of giving a standardized test (which we use for no other purpose except to satisfy state law) at our weekly General School Meeting each year. We have used another option - to be supervised by our local county board of education - for 2 years, but decided to take the testing option because it is easier for all concerned. All of our students from 7 through 15 take the test and their scores are averaged so that no one student's scores are known. If we are above the 40th percentile on the subtests, we have no state regulation related to curriculum (we still have fire, health etc.). If we are below the 40th percentile we have 2 years to remediate that. All in all, it is a bother, but seems less of a bother that other choices. Since we've gone to the testing option, we've been above the 40th percentile each time. Candy Landvoigt