Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] testing and Sudbury Valley

From: Hughes <hughes0005_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri Feb 11 11:43:00 2005

There may come a time when a group of individuals have to file a suit
against these laws. In Massachusetts twenty years ago, I was threatened
with the Care and Protection Act because I didn't want my home-schooled
children tested. One year I even got a school alternative supporter with
the right credentials to be willing to say they were giving the test. I
filled them in myself being sure to get a couple wrong here and there.
Weary of the harrassment I experienced from the local town Superintendent, I
visited SVS. Sweet! Here was the environment I was trying to create for
my children to grow in and no hastles. If it would help, I would be only
too happy to start sending emails to the appropriate legislaters to change
these laws to support you. Testing is not learning. It's a lousy measuring
stick. This society has got to get past this ridiculous pressure from
organizations that are only perpetuating their product/service. If testing
were such a great idea, then how come the traditional school model is in so
much trouble? Maybe it's time to get the media out there discussing this.
I worked for a testing and consulting firm for a year or so back when. To
amuse myself, I used to take the tests over and over to see how much I could
maniuplate the results. I've always been good at tests and could never
relate to everyone's excitement about that. I know it's hard to be
different, it's hard to go against mainstream. Maybe it's time. Sometimes
it is.
Carol