Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] testing and Sudbury Valley

From: sheila <sheran_at_ptd.net>
Date: Fri Feb 11 10:51:01 2005

Can the parents write a letter asking that their children be exempted from
testing for philisophical or religious reasons?
Sheila

> Hello -
>
> I am interested in starting a SV school here in Charlotte, and I'm
currently working with the group in Asheville to get one started there. One
issue that I have come across is testing. In North Carolina, there are
end-of-grade tests at grades 3, 6, 9, and 11. The students have to pass
with a minimum grade or they are automatically held back. I was hoping
there were exceptions to this rule, but there are not. Even private
religious schools have to comply with this.

> One way I thought of to handle this was, because there are no grade levels
in Sudbury schools, to just make the tests available, and if a student
wanted to take one, they could, in whatever grade they wanted.

> I do not know the consequences if testing is not done, maybe the school
would not be accredited. (Then would the students who attended be
considered truant?)

> I am ordering a start-up kit soon, and will then have access to those
archives, but until then -- if someone has started a school in a state with
similar laws, how do you handle it? Does anyone have thoughts or ideas
about it?